11/17/13

BLUE JASMINE.


Wearing
Emma Go Slither Ankle Boots (via Anthropologie)
Anthropologie satchel (2013)
All Saints Vita coat (currently in store, but from 2012)
Anthropologie Pachacuti Quills Floppy hat  (2013)

Sorry for the lack of posts recently!

What I'm going to tell pretty much mets with the new Woody Allen movie "Blue Jasmine" we watched today. Not only because my outfit is completely blue. Just like the main character of the movie, I also had some struggles during the last weeks. Struggles about letting go bad things and starting all over again.

Finally, I decided not finishing my Phd. A though decision I made, but in the end, it was the right one for me. Starting the Phd was something I actually never wanted. I forced myself going for it as I was worried not making it outside university without a Phd degree. But all the time I was working on it, it felt wrong and just not me. After seriously thinking about what makes me happy, I finally quit.

Quitting something that feels wrong from the very beginning also was the topic of "Blue Jasmine". The heroine of the movie also forced herself into a life she hated. But she denied that fact. And ended up going nuts and losing all. Life isn't about proofing somebody that you are a good person, that you are good enough for others. You have to be good enough for yourself. I did not only quit bad things this year. I also started adding new things and projects to my life that are good for me - without the proofing-you-are-good-enough-thing:

- we refurnished our appartment the way we always wanted 
(read more about it here and here)
- we adopted our cute kitten "Hendrix" :)
- and now, I'm going to build up my own little business
as a freelance writer (you can like me on facebook here)!

The last point is something that really thrills me. I'm always thought about how it would be to be self-employed and I have so many close friends and blogging buddies who are freelancers or having their own business. And that is really something that just feels right at the moment. I really think life doesn't get better by chance (a rich husband like in Woody Allen's movie, or a job offer you can't identify with) - it gets better by change.

Linking to Patti's Visible Monday!

19 comments:

Patti said...

I love this: "You have to be good enough for yourself." You have wisdom. I quit a very "successful" career at age 38 to become a psychotherapist. Best quitting I ever did! Best to you in your new career, and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You are wise and courageous to follow your heart! I know great things lie ahead of you and this outfit is precious! Gorgeous blue!

Willow said...

You look great in the blue look, although I think perhaps you look great in just about anything :)
Do what you love ~ and the money will follow .

Kacie Cone said...

This is dress is so great! That color is so good on you! Love that last line, you are so right!

sabine said...

Ein wunderschönes Kleid, das gerade durch seine Schlichtheit besticht.
Für Deine Zukunftspläne wünsche ich Dir alles Gute!
LG Sabine

Sharon S said...

Hi there! Wishing you every success in your new career!I love the blue DVF dress on you, so flattering and stylish xxx

Share my Garden said...

Lovely, lovely photos of you in this outfit. And congratulations on taking a good, hard look at your life and make some brave decisions. I worked as a freelancer, it isn't for everybody as it can be up and down but it does mean that you are in control of your own career.

Mrs C said...

Cool look and I can't help but smile when I read your profile.. :)

REGARDS FROM DUBAI xxx
MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES
http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

Vix said...

Onwards and upwards. It's so liberating to finally make a leap of faith and venture into the great unknown. You'll be amazing.
Love that shade of blue on you, so pretty! x

Zalina Walton said...

Very cute look. Love the hat with the dress.

Congrats on figuring out what you don't need. If it does not make you "happy", it's best to let it go because it's only doing the opposite.

Jan Graham-McMillen said...

Brava for making the right decision for you. If you wish to finish later, you can do so, yes? Congratulations on all your positive moves.
Having your own business can be horrid, but so can working for someone else! You will have lots of stress, just different stress. But you will have earned every good thing all by yourself, and that feels like nothing else.
You look beautiful in blue! Actually in anything you wear!

Sacramento Amate said...

Hello Romy, so good to know that you are an Andalusian at heart. I could be nothing else.
Looking glorious in blue.
Besos
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Lovely post! Lovely You! You look at peace in your photos. Life should feel good, and best to move on to new things that give you joy! I love your hat, and your booties, and the dress in between. Nice to meet you!

Renae of Simple Sequins said...

Fun, nice to meet you. I don't think I have seen your blog before. Come on by and see mine, as well. I love the solid statement of cobalt in your post. nice.

Renae of Simple Sequins said...

Thank you for joining me on Simple Sequins. Very glad to know you.

wardrobeexperience said...

das blaue seiden kleid steht dir super gut ... ja, und der tolle hut immer dabei! :)

Kelly Jackson said...

Sounds like you have had quite the personal journey of late. It takes courage and insight to quit something that is making you unhappy. Congratulations. And starting a new business - exciting! And I love your blue. It is gorgeous. Xo

Mary Lou said...

Blau steht dir einfach hervorragend! Und ich bewundere dich dafür das du quasi einen Neuanfang geschaffen hast. Hut ab dafür (nicht deinen tollen, der steht dir zu gut;) und viel viel Glück und Erfolg auch weiterhin!

Emmett Katherine said...

we are so conditioned that quitting is bad, the wrong thing to do etc, but logically in some situations it makes the most sense. Congratulations on doing what`s best for you and in your future endeavour as a writer :)

Also, you look great in blue!

Em

(side note, this is my 4th time trying to read this post, I kept getting interrupted every time I tried to read it!)